9.28.2012

Skin-suits and Such

It started innocently enough...we signed up for the 'rec' category of the VertFest randonnee race a few years back to support a local event, the guy that hosts the event, and to have a little painful fun. We didn't take ourselves too seriously. We heckled the guys in the front in the skin-suits and fast race gear. Of course, we signed up the next year and the year after that too. We were still 'just having fun'.

Then, one day, Brandon bought a pair of used race skis. I was worried, but I told myself it was all okay, that Brandon wasn't going to get too serious about this racing stuff. Pretty soon, Brandon was saying he needed a skin-suit too. I knew then that it was all over so I tried to contain the damage. I said we can't let ski training and racing completely take over our lives. "Uh-huh, I agree," he said. The next day, and months to follow, Brandon started following an official training regiment. Hmmm...

Well, I knew that I wasn't going to get into this randonnee racing stuff myself. Last year, we travelled to the U.S. Ski Mountaineering Championships in Jackson Hole, where Brandon did the race and I again competed in the 'rec' category. Even though it was a horrible race for me, I still felt the pull to actually race. Still, I reminded myself that I'm just in it to have fun, etc.

Last week, these showed up at our door:

Brandon, ever the sucker for a good deal, HAD to buy these for me b/c they were on sale. Oh dear, now I own race skis. Does this mean I have to compete in the race category? Do I have to train too? Must I wear a super cool skin-suit? Just who am I becoming?!? Begin the heckling now...

No comments: