2.03.2012

North Slope Chair Peak

After such a good day yesterday, Ed and I headed back out into the mountains, this time the north slope of Chair Peak was the destination.  It blew hard the whole night before, so Ed and I discussed the possibility of things slabbing up even more than yesterday.  We came to the decision that we would head up there and check things out as we went, being cautious and ski cutting things.  The wind was howling for sure, especially when we crossed the ridge over into the North Basin of Chair, visibility was low at times.  We found some of the firmest slab that Ed and I have ever seen, at times it was so dense that it seemed like wind blown hard pack.  I was a little concerned, we took a conservative approach and carefully picked out safe zones to leap frog down the slope.  I dropped the first rollover and skied it very delicately, not wanting to tempt things.  Ed dropped in, and tried to do a ski cut, but barely achieved any penetration.  Then on the next pitch (with Ed below me in a safe zone off to the right) I dropped in and found some penetration on a pocket, next thing I know I hear Ed yelling, I veered off towards him straight lining  unaware of what was happening behind me.  When I reached Ed I could see the slide passing me on the left, I triggered a slab that fractured probably 300' at least, across and down the bowl.  It wasn't real deep or real fast, but, I definitely could have gone for a ride, as it ran down the entire length of the slope down to the lake, 1500' below.  After the slide, and the adrenaline subsided slightly we skied (again conservatively) down the debris pile down to the lake.  It was my first time skiing with my Avalung in my mouth, head definitely on a swivel.  Overall it was a great day again in the mountains, a good learning experience for sure, and good to be back out in the backcountry with Ed.



Ed skinning up, Pineapple basin and the Tooth in background


Quick, get warm clothes on!


It was blowing, hard at times


Ed 


Looks ok here for Ed


Then, my turn, and this, yikes!


Looking down the debris pile


Ed in the debris


The exit 


Across Snow Lake, back to the barn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to get out w/my bud again. Great day with sun, wind, and snow. That was the first time getting blasted in the face with wind and snow felt refreshing, not demoralizing, as we booted up and over a ridge. Yeehaw!!!!!!!!!!
Good to have partners that you know, enjoy, and trust.
-Ed